QPR Gate Keeper Instructor Certification Course
QPR Gatekeeper Instructor Certification Course is for any person or organization interested in preventing suicide in their community
Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2018
Location: Child Focus Training Center 4633-B Aicholtz Rd. Cincinnati, OH 45244
Contact and registration: Kerri Shuman at Grant Us Hope firstname.lastname@example.org
This certification course trains Instructors to teach QPR for Suicide Prevention to their community. Participants first learn about the nature of suicidal communications, what forms these communications take and how they may be used as the stimulus for a QPR intervention. To gain perspective, participants are introduced to the history of suicide, suicide prevention and the spectrum of modern day public health suicide prevention education efforts. The history, background and research support for QPR are reviewed. Participants then learn to market QPR, target potential Gatekeepers, and how to teach the QPR curriculum. Participants also learn to deal with pent up audience demand to talk about suicide, survivor issues and how to make immediate interventions and referrals. Each participant has the opportunity for individual rehearsal and practice through role-plays.
- To understand the nature, range and importance of suicidal communications and their importance in preventing suicide.
- To review and understand the groups at greatest risk of suicide and why QPR can work for them.
- To train participants to teach QPR Gatekeeper Training for Suicide Prevention.
- To gain a historical perspective about suicide prevention and how QPR fits into national efforts.
- To acquire specific knowledge about how audiences may respond to the QPR message and how to react in a helpful manner.
- To learn how to effectively promote suicide prevention in their own communities.
- To gain the competence and confidence to teach others how to save lives and help prevent suicidal behaviors.
Suicide and suicide prevention in history Gatekeeper training; how, why and the research New and promising approaches to suicide prevention Targeting prevention education efforts Review of the QPR video Teaching QPR Facilitating role plays Handling questions from audiences National and local resources and how to use them Expanding QPR to other community prevention efforts Completion of training evaluations Orientation to the national QPR network and QPR Institute Awarding of three year Instructor Certificates Certification Program includes:
- A full-day training course
- A QPR Instructor’s Manual
- Detailed teaching information
- QPR Instructor’s Teaching DVD with suicidal communications vignettes, suicide statistics, QPR introductory video hosted by Carrie Fisher, PowerPoint slides for the core QPR Gatekeeper training, overhead masters for handouts Audio CD of a QPR Gatekeeper training
- 25 QPR booklets and QPR wallet cards
- A copy of Tender Leaves of Hope booklet
- Tool kit (continuously updated) with information on issues related to suicide Two of Dr. Quinnett’s books: Suicide: The Forever Decision and Counseling Suicidal People: A Therapy of Hope Access to the Intitute's toll free number for consultations on QPR training Periodic blast emails and brief Powerpoint presentations QPR Times, a newsletter created for QPR Certified Gatekeeper Instructors